Grilled cheese and tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food! Making it homemade makes it even better! This recipe will show you how easy it is and you will see just how delicious it is too!
It sounds so simple, and that is because it is! Using the right bread and cheese for this sandwich will make the world of difference.
The better the tomatoes the better the flavor, try to buy the best canned tomatoes that you can.
You won’t be making your grilled cheese using plain old American cheese anymore!
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
- 28 oz. whole tomatoes (organic)
- 2 celery
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 36 oz. of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of parmesan
- favorite Bread
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- gouda cheese
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp olive oil
How to make the Grilled Cheese
There are thousands of ways to make grilled cheese, but using a good thick white bread and a creamy gouda cheese makes this grilled cheese outrank the others by far!
1. Grate the Gouda Cheese
Start by choosing your cheese. It is a really important step in achieving a mouthing watering grilled cheese. You want to look for one that has a sharp flavor and is somewhat creamy so that it melts nicely.
In this recipe, I chose to use Gouda. It melts well and has a crowd-pleasing flavor. You can also use Monterey Jack, cheddar, or Havarti… really there are so many choices! If you really wanted to you could go all American and do some American cheese, it does melt well.
Using the larger grating side of a box grater is the way to go so that you have bigger pieces that will melt easier than a slice of cheese.
2. Butter the bread
The bread that you use along with the cheese are the two most important things to making a REALLY good grilled cheese. A nice thick slice of white bread is always my go-to.
Spread your unsalted butter, coating one side of each slice of your bread, somewhat generously. I choose to use unsalted butter because the cheese is going to add enough of a salty flavor.
3. Add cheese
Heat your pan on medium-low. Once it’s good and hot go ahead and put one slice of bread with the butter side down in the pan.
Everyone’s stove varies a little differently in temperature so make sure your pan isn’t too hot. You don’t want to burn the bread and not give the cheese a chance to melt.
Then, you are going to add your cheese. Be generous so you make it good and cheesy. Make sure that the entire slice is covered with cheese.
4. Grill in frying pan
Add your second slice of bread on top of the cheese with the butter side up this time.
Using your spatula lift up your grilled slice a little bit to check and see if it’s starting to turn golden brown. Once it’s good and golden go ahead and flip the whole sandwich over.
Give it a minute or two to cook and then check the bottom slice to see if it has grilled to a golden brown. Your cheese inside should be completely melted at this point as well.
Once both sides are nice and golden you are ready to serve and enjoy! Slice the grilled cheese diagonally across the center and watch the cheesiness melting out! Delish!
How to make the Tomato Soup
Grilled cheese and tomato soup go hand in hand! Now that you are a Pro at making grilled cheese, you will want to make this soup to go along with it.
The ultimate comfort food, whether you are not feeling well, need to warm up from the inside out or you just need a little comfort, this recipe will be there to rescue you.
1. Prepare the vegetables
Always start any recipe by gathering and preparing your ingredients. In this case, you want to get your carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and parmesan sliced, diced, chopped, grated, and ready to go.
Make sure to wash your celery and carrots to start. Peel your carrots and then dice those and your celery to about 1/4in. You want to be somewhat consistent in size so that they cook evenly but we are going to blend them later so as long as they are close you are ok.
Dice up one whole white onion and mince 3 garlic cloves and set aside.
Grate your Parmesan Reggiano. I can not express enough that you want to make sure you get the REAL Parmesan when you are shopping. Make sure that it says “Reggiano” this is the only “real” Parmesan, which comes from Italy.
2. Sauté the vegetables
Heat your pot on medium-low with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Once the oil is heated add in your onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté them all until soft.
3. Add the other ingredients
Canned tomatoes Add in one can of whole tomatoes. I recommend buying organic if you can.
Chicken stock Add 36oz of chicken broth. Personally, I think homemade tastes so much better but store-bought will do too.
Salt, Pepper and sugar Salt and pepper to taste and add in your sugar.
Parmesan cheese Sprinkle in the parmesan cheese and stir everything together.
4. Simmer the tomato soup
Let the soup simmer for 30-40min. Now, blend the soup until it is smooth. You can use an immersion blender or just a regular blender to get it nice and smooth?
Serve this deliciousness with a grilled cheese and enjoy the true comfort of food.
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup | Simple and Fast!
- 28 Oz whole canned tomatoes
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 white onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 36 Oz chicken broth
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano
- 2 slices of white bread
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup grated gouda cheese
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1 Tsp olive oil
How to make Grilled Cheese
- Grate your sharp cheddar cheese to about 1/3 cup.
- Generously spread butter on both slices of white bread with unsalted butter.
- Heat your pan on medium-low heat. Then, add one slice of bread, butter side down, to the pan. Go ahead and add your cheese on top of the slice of bread. Make sure to cover the whole slice with cheese. Now, add the second slice on top of the cheese with the butter side up this time.
- Check the bottom slice and flip the sandwich when it looks golden brown. Once the second slice is golden brown go ahead and remove the grilled cheese, cut at a diagonal, and serve.
- Prepare all of your veggies. Wash your carrots and celery, and peel your carrots. Then dice them up along with the onion. Mince up the garlic and grate your parmesan cheese.
- Heat your pot on medium-low with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Once that is hot and the oil is moving around the pan smoothly add in your onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and saute them until tender and the onions are translucent.
- Add in the canned whole tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Stir everything together and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender until it is a smooth consistency. Serve with grilled cheese and ENJOY!