Bell peppers, also referred to as sweet peppers, are great in so many dishes and also can be delicious eaten fresh or cooked. They add a nice light and fresh taste with a little crunch. Used often in salads, on pizza, vegetable platter, fajitas, and more.
You can buy them in many different colors, most commonly you will see them in green, red, orange or yellow. They are all very similar in flavor and texture but each holds something unique in its flavor.
Because they are oddly shaped you might be wondering how to cut them. For the easiest ways, follow along cause I am going to jump right into it.
- 1 Bell pepper
- chef knife
- cutting board
How to cut a bell pepper
I am going to show you two most commonly used ways to cut a bell pepper. Depending on what you are using them for will depend on how you want to cut them.
Sliced bell peppers are great on salads or for Mexican night in your fajitas. Whereas diced bell peppers are great in omelets, salsa, or chili.
It is important to always wash your bell peppers before you start to cut into them. You never know what kind of bacteria or pesticides are on them from transport or even just being in the stores.
Use a fruit or vegetable spray or mild all-natural soap and wash them gently under cold water.
2. Cut top and bottom off
Cut off the bottom of the pepper and then cut into the top of the pepper going around the stem.
Give the stem a gentle twist and pull and it will pop out with the seeds and insides attached.
3. Cutting into strips
Stand it up on the cut bottom and cut it in half. Now you can get the rest of the white insides cut off and take out any lingering seeds.
Lay the half with the inside facing up, start at one end and cut into strips of your desired width. Go ahead and do the same thing with the other side.
4. Dicing green peppers
Following the same steps that we did in steps 1,2, and 3 now we are going to pile up or strips so that the ends are all equal. Go ahead and cut through the pile makes the strips into diced pieces.
As I said before depending on what you are going to be using your diced bell peppers for will determine how big or small you want to dice them.
How to cut a bell pepper
- 1 bell pepper
- Wash your bell pepper. It is very important to get off the bacteria and pesticide from all of your fruits and vegetables before cutting into them.With cold water and a fruit spray or mild all-natural soap wash them thoroughly.
- Cut off the bottom and turn on its side. You want to cut into the top around the stem without cutting the top off completely.Gently twist and pull the top of the pepper and the insides along with the seeds will all pull out with the top.
- Stand the bell pepper back on its cut off bottom and cut through it making two pieces. You want to cut off any of the white that is still on the pepper and wipe out any seeds leftover.
Bell pepper strips
- Lay each piece, inside facing up. Now go ahead and cut into strips of your desired thickness by slicing across the pepper. Continue down the bell pepper until you have all strips.
Diced bell pepper
- Follow all of the steps thus far and then you want to pile your strips together. Line them up so the ends are all equal and cut across the pile. You can make them as big or as little as you would like.