I am going to go over how to cut a cantaloupe in 3 easy ways. Some might be intimidated not knowing what to do with this fruit but it’s very simple.
Once you try this delicious melon, you will want to grab one every time you hit up the grocery store to make slices and chunks for your next snack or Fruit salad.
When you are buying cantaloupe you want to look at the exterior and avoid ones with lots of bruises or soft spots.
The little circle at the top where to stem was will have a little give or squish to it and if you smell that spot, you will get a fruity smell if it is fresh and ready to go.
You can always buy them not ripe yet and place them with bananas or apples on the counter and that will help ripen the fruit.
Not only is it simple to cut up but also its juicy, sweet, tender insides hold many nutrients. Cantaloupe is great in a fruit salad or fruit platters but also just to have on hand as a healthy snack.
How to cut a cantaloupe
It is important to have a ripe cantaloupe melon when you are cutting for two reasons. One, being that it is easier to cut the more ripe and soft it is, and two, your fruit will have a lot more of a sweet flavor and they are juicier when it is ripe.
Make sure that you have a sharp knife. I like to use a chef’s knife or even a paring knife when I am cutting up chunks and cubes or taking off the rind.
Always wash your fruit before you start to cut into it. You can use a fruit or veggie spray or a gentle soap. Even though you are not going to be eating the outside it is important to wash it.
This will ensure that you don’t bring any bacteria or pesticides into the fruit when you cut into it.
2. Cut into slices with rind
You want to start by cutting off the ends. This will give you more stability when you cut it in half. Now flip it over so that it is standing on one of the cut ends and slice it down the middle.
You now have two big halves. Taking one half, lay it down on with the inside of the melon facing down.
Next you want to scoop out the inside of the cantaloupe to take out all the seeds.
With it on its sturdy side, go ahead and make slices going across widthwise in 1-1 1/2 inch slice. Repeat this with the other half as well.
You can eat them just like this or if you want more manageable slices, go ahead and cut each slice in half. These are great for snacks or for fruit platters as well.
3. Cut into slices without rind
Now that you have your slices you are going to take each slice one at a time and lay it rind side down.
Take your knife and lay it flat so that you are slicing right above the green part of the melon where it turns orange. Slide your knife across the rind until it’s fully detached from the fruit.
Avoid the green flesh as it is a little bitter. If you are left with a few spots of green on your slices it isn’t the end of the world. You can either leave them or if you really want go ahead and cut them off.
4. Cut into chunks
This can be done one of two ways.
- Before you cut the rind from your slice you can take it and make cuts into the slice down to the rind but not through it. Then follow step 3 above and lay your knife flat and cut through your slice of cantaloupe. Your chunks will fall off the rind right into the cut sizes you already made.
- Slice your cantaloupe off from the rind as we previously did in step
- Once you have no more rind then go ahead and cut up that slice into chunks of your desired size.
This is the way to go when you are making fruit salad. You want to be sure to cut it up into manageable bite-size pieces.
How to Cut Cantaloupe (3 Ways)
- 1 cantaloupe
- Wash your cantaloupe under cold water. If you have a fruit wash you like to use that is great too. You want to make sure that you give it a little scrub to get off any bacteria or pesticides.
Cut cantaloupe into slices with rind
- Cut off both ends of your cantaloupe and flip it over so that it is standing on the cut flat end. Slice in right down the middle cutting the whole fruit in half.Scoop out all the seeds inside the sliced halves.With the rine side up, cut into slices going across the fruit. That's it!
Cut cantaloupe into slices without rind
- Follow the same steps as if you were going to keep the rinds on. Then take each slice one at a time and place with the rind size down.Lay your knife flat and cut across and slice right above the green part. You want to avoid the green part as much as you can.It is ok if you get a little bit of the green part, you can go back and cut it off or you can just leave it.
Cut cantaloupe into chunks
- You can do this one of two ways. Both are quite simple so whichever you are more comfortable with.
- 1. Cut up your cantaloupe into slices with the rind still on. Make little cuts across each slice only until the rind but without cutting all the way through.Then, lay your knife flat and cut above the green part of the rind and your chunks will fall right off for you.
- 2. Go ahead and cut up your cantaloupe like you are cutting it into sliced without the rind. Once you have cut all of your slices off the rinds go ahead and cut them into bite-size pieces.