Learn how to cut romaine lettuce. This is a really easy skill to master. This makes just the right size pieces for your next salad.
The most popular use for cut romaine is for a Caesar salad. We will go over cutting it for salads tacos, sandwiches, and burgers.
There are so many benefits of romaine lettuce when it comes to salads. I really enjoy the added crunch that it gives to my favorite salads.
I also like the green color, it’s not too dark and you get all the different shades.
How to cut romaine lettuce video
1. Slice the lettuce the long way
These four simple steps will help you create great chopped lettuce to go into your next garden salad. You are going to need a knife and cutting board and if you have a salad spinner that will also make it simple.
Go ahead and trim the leafy end off of the lettuce if you are seeing some wilted or damaged pieces of the lettuce.
Take the head of lettuce and cut it through the long way to create 2 heads of lettuce.
If you have a really large romaine lettuce then go ahead and cut it again the long way and you will have 4 heads of lettuce.
2. Cut the ends off
Bunch the heads of lettuce together in one pile. If it is too much to handle you can do this in 2 steps.
Cut the root ends off of the bunch of lettuce. You want to get it high enough that you notice all the leaf sections separate from one another.
If you have a compost bin then that is a great place to use the ends that you cut off. This is really done for uniformity and you could eat this part of the lettuce except for the stump which is typically not that edible.
3. Cut into pieces
Now you are ready to go ahead and cut and chop into manageable size pieces that you will put into your salad or for tacos. I shoot for around the 1′ size and typically a little larger.
4. Wash the lettuce
I always talk about washing the vegetable before you cut them up. What makes this skill different is the lettuce is pretty tedious to wash leaf by leaf.
Add the cut romaine to a salad spinner and spin in to get rid of the water. If you do not have a spinner just soak the leaves in some water and agitate the lettuce and then strain it.
You want to try to get as much excess water off as you can.
Frequently Asked Questions for Cutting Romaine Lettuce
How to Cut Romaine Lettuce
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 pinch salt optional
- Cut the tips of the leaves off if they are wilted.Slice the lettuce the long way. If the bunch is to big do it 2 times and end up with 4 bunches of lettuce.
- Bunch them together and cut both ends. The leaves will then separate.
- Slice across the lettuce into 1in pieces.
- Rinse the lettuce in a lettuce spinner or in a bowl mixing the pieces around and then straining out as much water as you can. If you do not have a spinner use a paper towel to get off some of the excess water.Throw all of the cleaned lettuce into a bowl and add whatever salad toppings you would like.