If your looking for an easy chicken recipe that will impress, then this creamy chicken florentine is the answer. Because we are using a white wine to deglaze the pan it will add so much flavor and will balance the heavy cream that is in the cream sauce.
The fresh spinach will add some color to the creamy sauce that covers the browned chicken breasts. And don’t forget the freshly grated parmesan cheese that makes the dish shine.
- 2 chicken breast
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 shallots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Frying pan
- Chef knife
- cutting board
- cheese grater
Chicken Florentine Video
How to make creamy chicken florentine
Follow these simple steps to get and incredible tasting chicken florentine recipe for your next dinner meal.
I like to get all of my ingredients ready to go so it is really simple to cook the dish. You don’t want to be trying to gather things when you need to concentrate on cooking the dish.
This is a very simple dinner recipe that everyone will enjoy.
1. Prepare the chicken
Flatten or slice the chicken into manageable pieces that are about ½ in thickness. I prefer to slice them with a chef knife then beat them with a mallet. I have a great way on how to cut up a whole chicken.
Lightly salt them with kosher salt.
2. Prepare the vegetables and cheese
Mince the shallots as fine as you can. The shallots are going in to the pan sauce so that is why you want to get them really fine. I have a great post on how to cut shallots if your interested.
Shallots will introduce a mild onion flavor that will really pop in the creamy cheese sauce.
Make sure your garlic has not gone bad. Mince the garlic as well, same as the shallots, you want the garlic as fine as possible seeing that it will be in the Parmesan pan sauce. Learn how to cut garlic.
The spinach you’re going to leave whole but you want to wash it first if it wasn’t bought washed. If you have some really big stems then you want to remove them, nothing worse than chomping on a thick stem in a refined dish like this.
Always make sure that your spinach has not gone bad.
Chop about a half a cup of spinach really fine, you will add it to the pan sauce later.
I prefer to use baby spinach for this recipe. A lot of people also like to add mushrooms that will also go very well in the rich sauce.
The Parmesan cheese brings so much flavor to this dish. I can not stress enough that you want to buy cheese that you will grate yourself.
There is only one kind of parmesan to use and that’s Parmigiano-Reggiano.
3. Saute the chicken
We are now going to cook the chicken. The idea here is to brown it and not to cook it completely through.
Add olive oil to pan
In a large frying pan you want to get the pan hot on a medium heat and then add your oil.
The reason I use extra virgin olive oil is because I can get the pan nice and hot so that the chicken Florentine does not absorb a bunch of oil and not brown.
Dredge the chicken breast
Dredge the chicken breast in the flour. The goal is to get a nice even coat on the chicken.
This is going to help give it a nice brown color.
Brown the chicken
As soon as you get a nice brown color on one side of the chicken go ahead and flip it over. You don’t want to over cook the chicken but you want to get it nice and brown .
As soon as it is brown on both sides your want to pull the chicken from the pan, but keep the pan to make the delicious pan sauce.
4. Chicken florentine pan sauce
This creamy sauce is what really makes this dish shine. It helps balance the bitterness of the spinach. If you love cheese then it will not disappoint.
Saute the shallots and garlic
Add butter to the pan working it all the way around. Make sure not to burn the butter, if the pan is to hot turn it down or even take the pan off the heat for just a minute.
Add shallots and garlic
Add the shallots and garlic into the melting butter. Keep it all moving in the pan to make sure that it does not burn.
Deglaze the pan
Add the white wine
Add the white wine and let it do its thing for a minute. You can move it around a bit to make sure that it gets incorporated.
Homemade chicken stock
Add the chicken stock. I use a homemade chicken stock and this also helps with the incredible flavor of the chicken Florentine dish.
Make the cream sauce
Add the heavy cream. Make sure that the pan is not to hot as you will burn the cream. Keep stirring to prevent it from sticking.
Add that incredible cheese that is going to add some umami do the dish. Keep it moving to prevent sticking.
Now that chopped spinach we set aside was to add some color to the sauce. It will really make the final product pop.
salt and pepper
Add salt and pepper and taste. It is really important to watch the amount of salt you add seeing that the cheese will give it a lot of salt flavor.
After you make the sauce simmer it for a bit and keep it moving around the pan. Add the chicken back to the pan and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked to 160 degrees and the sauce is thickened.
5. Saute the spinach
Add 2 tbsp of butter to a new pan. Make sure that the pan is not to hot so that you burn the butter.
Add all the spinach to the pan and let it wilt. Try to incorporate all the butter into the spinach. As soon as it is all pretty much wilted pull off the heat.
6. Plate the chicken florentine
Add the freshly cooked spinach to a plate. You want to create a bed for the chicken breast.
Add the chicken breast over the spinach and top it with some of the delicious cheese pan sauce that you made. Add some fresh garlic toast and you have yourself a dish!
If you are making this recipe then you need to make my Texas toast. It is so easy to make and with compliment this recipe. This bread was made for this recipe!
Creamy Chicken Florentine (Amazing Flavor)
- 2 chicken breast
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 shallots
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch kosher salt to taste
- 1 pinch Black pepper to taste
Prepare the chicken
- take the two chicken breasts and slice them so that you get manageable pieces.If the chicken is thicker than 1/2" then pound it with a meat mallet or slice it through the thickness of the chicken so you end up with a total of 8 pieces.
- Salt the chicken lightly on all sides with kosher salt.
Prepare the vegetables and cheese
- Mince the garlic and shallots and set aside.
- Wash the spinach and then chop up a half a cup that you will add to the pan sauce later.
- Grate up the parmesan cheese and set aside for the pan sauce.
Saute the chicken
- Heat up a large frying pan with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour and then add to the pan. Brown the chicken on one side then flip.
- Saute the chicken on both sides until brown and the remove from the pan. Side it aside for now.
Create the pan sauce
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to the pan that you just saute the chicken in.Add the shallots and garlic; saute until the shallots are softening.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and simmer for a minute. Add the chicken stock and stir the sauce and get any stuck bits on the bottom of the pan to release.
- Add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese; stir.
- Add the chopped spinach and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tbsp of butter to another frying pan. As the butter is melting add the spinach and let wilt and cook through until bright green.
Plating the chicken florentine
- Add spinach to a plate and then place the chicken on top.Drizzle that incredible cheese sauce that you made on top of the chicken.Enjoy!
- Dont add to much salt to the sauce. Test the sauce after adding the cheese to make sure that you need salt or not.
- Use fresh grated parmesan cheese for an incredible flavor.
- Add mushrooms to change the flavor of the dish next time you make it.