In this post, I am going to cover how to cut mushrooms. If you want to slice or dice mushrooms I will go over the techniques to do this. If you learn better with a video, I have that for you also.
We are going to use white button cap mushrooms but baby-Bella’s work great as well.
You can use cremini or white buttons or any type of mushroom that you prefer for your cooking.
How to Cut mushrooms video
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Paper towel
4 Steps for cutting mushrooms
Let’s work on those knife skills and cut up some mushrooms. We are going to clean and prepare them so they go great on your next pizza or possibly a pasta dish. Before you go ahead and start using the mushrooms you want to make sure the mushrooms are still good.
1. How to clean mushrooms
When washing mushrooms you do not want to run them underwater to get them clean.
Mushrooms are like sponges and they will soak up the water. You don’t actually wash them at all.
All you need is a paper towel. Lightly brush the dirt off and that’s that, they are ready to go.
2. How to cut mushrooms stems off
Start by cutting off the stems so that they are flush with the cap of the mushroom.
This will make them more sturdy when you are slicing or cutting.
If you need minced mushrooms for your recipe, like stuffed mushrooms or something alike, you can use the stems for that or you can discard them.
3. How to slice mushrooms
Place your mushrooms with the stem side down on the cutting board and slice across the mushroom to your desired thickness.
These slices are great on a pizza, chicken marsala, pasta, salads, and so many more recipes. A side I love to make with sliced mushrooms is my sautéed mushrooms and onions.
4. How to dice mushrooms
Now that you have your mushrooms sliced you can dice them even smaller by laying them flat and slicing them into strips and then cutting them again going in the opposite direction.
If you are looking for more of a chop or mince keep chopping to your liking. And dont forget to check out this incredible recipe of sautéed cremini mushrooms.
How to Cut Mushrooms (4 Simple Steps) Home Cook Basics
- 2 Mushrooms
- Start by cleaning your mushrooms using a paper towel and lightly brushing the dirt off.
- Next, you want to cut off the stems so they are flush with the cap of the mushroom. This will make the mushroom more sturdy for slicing.
- Place the mushrooms with the stem side down and slice across making slices as thick or as thin as you would like.
- If you need smaller pieces, you want to stack the slices on top of one another and cut slices going across and then again in the opposite direction.