Learn the best way on how to peel an avocado. I always thought the best way was using a spoon after you cut the avocado in half, but that simply is not true. The way we are going to teach you will bring you the best yield from the avocado.
That think dark layer under the skin you typically do not get when you use the spoon. This layer holds a lot of the nutritional value in the avocado.
Video – How to peel an avocado
- cutting board
- chef knife
5 steps on how to peel an avocado
If you follow these 5 simple steps you will get most yield out of this berry. Yes it is a berry it is not a vegetable. When I found out for the first time I was also surprised.
Wash the avocado
So you are probably saying why do I need to wash it? I am going to use the insides, not the outside. Well, as soon as you cut the avocado you push whatever is on the outside of the avocado into the flesh of the fruit.
So, go ahead and do a wash underwater and try to scrub the skin. If you have one of those veggie brushes go ahead and use that.
Cut the avocado
You want to cut the avocado in half. Go ahead and cut it the long way. Make sure to do this nice and slow seeing that you will have the knife moving around the avocado towards your hand After you cut it pull the two halves away from one another.
Remove the Seed
Take your knife and set it into the seed of the avocado. Twist the knife and the seed should fall out.
I like to use a dish towel for two reasons: One, it protects my hand a bit and two, it helps me grip the slimy seed.
Slice the halves into quarters
Now that you have the avocado with the seed removed and sliced in half, you want to cut the two halves in half. In the end, you will have four slices of avocado.
Peel the slices
Now just grab the outside part of one of the slices from the top and pull it away from the avocado. The rich green part that you see closest to the peel is actually the most nutrient-dense part of the fruit.
This is why peeling an avocado in this manner is the best way to yield the best parts of an avocado.
How To Peel An Avocado
- 1 avocado
- 1 pinch salt optional
- Wash the avocado under cold running water. Try to rub it with your hands or if you have a food scrub brush go ahead and use it.
- Cut in half. Use a sharp knife and cut the long way in the middle. Rotate the knife and avocado as you go. Make sure to take your time so you do not cut yourself.
- Take the blade of the knife and stick it into the seed. When it is stuck in the pit rotate it to remove the seed.
- Slice the halved avocado into more pieces. What you are doing is really quartering the avocado.
- Peel the skin off the slices that you made.